Evening Bible Study
Mount Bethel Missionary Baptist Church
Facilitator: Dr. Jacques Boyd, Lead Servant
November 9, 2022
1 Corinthians: The Foolishness of the Kingdom
- Paul’s First Trip
- The Letter- how should the church reflect to the watching world the character of God?
- I. A Gospel-Centered Church is to be United
- A. Unity is based on the cross of Christ.
- B. Disunity is a sign of worldliness.
- C. The body of Christ is unified in its diversity.
- D. Unity is built up by unselfish love.
- II. A Gospel-Centered Church is to be Holy
- Beware persistent sin.
- Practice church discipline with love.
- III. A Gospel-Centered Church is to be Edifying
- Give up your rights.
- Image Christ.
- Do we solve conflicts, or do we contribute to them?
- Do we resist the temptation to boast in or even to worship other human beings, or do we yield to it?
- Are we absolutely pure in our relationship with the other sex, or are we calculating and compromising?
- Are we using our spiritual gifts to build up all the members of the Christian community, or are we hoarding our gifts or using them for our own selfish advantage?
- Are our actions motivated by love, or by some other inferior motivation?
- Are we givers, or takers?
- Introduction (1:1-9)
- Sin in the Body of Christ (1:10 – 6:20)
- Divisions (1:10-4:21)
- Discipline (chapter 5)
- Lawsuits (6:1-8)
- Impurity (6:9-20)
- Answers to Questions (7:1 – 11:1)
- Celibacy, Marriage & Divorce (Chapter 7)
- Rights and Responsibilities (8:1-11:1)
- Public Worship (11:2-14:40)
- The role of Women in the church (11:2-16)
- Lord’s supper (11:17-34)
- Spiritual gifts (12-14)
- The Resurrection (chapter 15)
- Conclusion (chapter 16)